Okay, for those who don’t happen to know who April is (maybe you are a gluten-free newbie, or you’ve had a serious case of gluten-induced brain fog the past couple of years), allow me to explain. April Peveteaux is one of the the bomb-diggity-est coolest bloggers in the gluten-free world…she also happens to be the author of one of my other favorite GF books, “GLUTEN IS MY BITCH.” Seriously, if you don’t already follow her BLOG, you really should! She posts tons of tips and advice for those of us relegated to this wonderful (eh-hem) gluten-free lifestyle, and she also happens to be freakin’ hysterical! Her NEW book is filled with incredibly useful info for GF newbies and veterans alike, and includes TONS of different gluten-free recipes for things like Hushpuppies, Crab Cakes, Coconut Flour Tortillas, Parmesan Popovers, Sugar Cookie Cheesecake, Deep-Fried Chocolate Cream Cookies, and much, much more!!!
“In addition to 100 delicious and simple recipes, The Gluten-Free Cheat Sheet is the gluten-free consumer’s guide to survival, tackling issues like myths & facts about gluten and how to eat safely out at restaurants as a celiac.” ~ Keely B. Platte, Penguin Random House Publishing
- The Problem With Gluten: Who What and Why
- A Quick Lesson in What Foods to Avoid and What to Eat Instead
- Can’t Someone Else Just Cook For Me
- Depression, Anxiety, and General Crankiness
- How To Rock Your First 30 Days
- Basic Gluten-Free Cooking Methods and GF Pantry Essentials
- Your 30-Day Meal Plan
- Recipes, Recipes, Recipes!!
It also includes a huge list of resources at the back of book (support group info, gluten-free brands you can trust, list of GF conferences, other gluten-free books, a list of gluten-free restaurant chains, etc), PLUS an entire section listing gluten-free bloggers and websites you can trust…and GUESS WHO got listed. Um, we did!!! That’s right, OUR WEBSITE is the recommended site for Las Vegas, NV! How totally cool is that!?!?!?
RASPBERRY VODKA REFRESHER
The world’s easiest summer cocktail that also has next to zero calories. I put this together when I was bartending in New York. It’s fizzy, fruity, and boozy. A winning combination on a hot day!
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
MAKES: 1 serving
- crushed ice
- 2 ounces Raspberry Stoli
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 ounces seltzer
- raspberries for garnish
- lime wedge for garnish.
- Fill Collins glass with crushed ice. Pour Raspberry Stoli over ice and add lime juice and seltzer. Stir once.
- Serve with 2 to 3 raspberries dropped in glass and lime wedge.
As for the DINNER, we decided to test out April’s recipe for gluten-free Asian Pork Chops…
ASIAN PORK CHOPS
A quick, easy, and flavorful dinner that you’ll go back to again and again, these pork chops are a winner whether you fry, grill, or broil.
PREP TIME: 5 minutes + 30 minutes marinating time
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
MAKES: 4 servings
- 4 center-cut pork chops
- 2 tablespoons wheat-free tamari
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- At room temperature, marinate pork chops in wheat-free tamari and sesame oil for at least ½ hour before cooking.
- Preheat grill for 5 minutes on high, or turn on broiler.
- Before you transfer pork chops to grill or slide into broiler, sprinkle with powdered ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Cook pork chops 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
THE GLUTEN FREE CHEAT SHEET by April Peveteaux is available NOW on Amazon.com...order your copy TODAY!!!